NDIS Frequently Asked Questions

What is the NDIS?

The NDIS is a social insurance scheme for people with disability to access the support they need to live how they choose and participate as citizens in the community.

It will be available in Central Highlands from 1 January 2017 and in the Western District from 1 October 2017.


Who can access the NDIS?

Eligibility for the NDIS depends on the nature of your disability, your age, where you live and your citizenship status.

You may be eligible for the NDIS if you:

  • Have a disability, condition or impairment that is permanent, and that means you usually need support from another person or from equipment to do everyday things
  • Are aged under 65
  • Live in an area where the NDIS is available, and
  • Are an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a Special Protected Category Visa.

To check your eligibility, use the NDIS Access Checklist on the NDIS website.

Wimmera UnitingCare can support you to access the NDIS by assisting you to collect the information you need, complete forms and set up online systems such as a MyGov account.

Contact us for assistance to register for the NDIS.

Email: intake@wuc.org.au 

Phone: 1800 195 114


When is the NDIS coming to my area?

The NDIS is a big change for people with disability, carers and families, and is being introduced in stages over the next three years.
It will be available in Central Highlands from 1 January 2017 and in the Wimmera South West from 1 October 2017.

Central Highlands includes the local council areas of:
• Ararat
• Ballarat
• Golden Plains
• Hepburn
• Moorabool
• Pyrenees

Wimmera South West includes the local council areas of:

• Corangamite
• Glenelg
• Hindmarsh
• Horsham
• Moyne
• Northern Grampians
• Southern Grampians
• Warrnambool
• West Wimmera
• Yarriambiack

If you live in another area, other UnitingCare agencies currently provide NDIS services across Victoria.

You can find out when the NDIS will be available in your area on the NDIS website.


I receive the Disability Support Pension – what do I need to do under the NDIS?

Assistance from the NDIS is not means tested and has no impact on income support such as the Disability Support Pension and Carers Allowance. However, if you are eligible for the NDIS it may mean you can receive new and additional supports to help you with your day-to-day living. Contact us to discuss your needs. Phone: 1800 195 114 or email intake@wuc.org.au 

What happens to Mental Health Community Support Services (MHCSS) under the NDIS?

MHCSS provides mental health support and rehabilitation services to people across Victoria. It is important to remember that the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is responsible for transitioning services in a way that accounts for local circumstances and promotes the best possible outcomes for people with disability.

If you are currently receiving mental health services, these arrangements will remain in place until the NDIS is available in your area and your plan begins. Current clients are expected to transition to the NDIS between May and June 2017.

For those needing support in Central Highlands, ACSO will continue to be the access point for MHCSS until 30 April 2017. To complete the assessment, call ACSO Connect on 1300 022 760. 

For further information about the transition of Victorian mental health services, please contact the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services on:

P: 1300 650 172 (local call fee within Victoria, except mobile phones)
Or for interstate, international and mobile callers
P: (61 3) 9096 0000

Haven't answered your question?

Use the form below to submit your question and our NDIS team will work to provide you with an answer and post the answers on this page. Your details will be keep private and confidential.